Acquanetta Wat

Discriminatory to rental units

This company wont go to rentals. I guess people in rentals dont deserve to have a functional furnace.
Cons:
  • Discriminates renters

Preferred solution: Apology

User's recommendation: Steer clear if you’re a renter!

map-marker Amery, Wisconsin

After Hours Rip Off

Older AC unit quit working on a weekend. I did a Google search and called Bonfe.

The tech arrived quickly and in no time gave me the bad news. The breaker had tripped due to the fact the compressor was shot and needed to be replaced. He gave me prices of $12,000, and $14,000 to replace the system with the price ranging on the energy efficiency of the unit. When I said whooo, thats not in my budget he said for $1,000 he could my system back up and running today?

How does that happen with a shot compressor? I told him to put the cover back on the unit and send him packing. A week later I pulled the cover off the outside condenser. Gently peeled and brushed away 20 years of dried grass and dirt off the coil fins.

I reset the breaker turned the thermostat to cool and it was a Christmas miracle. The AC unit was back up and running. Thanks Bonfe.

When I really do need to replace the system I sure wont be calling you. Totally a scam business.

User's recommendation: Run as fast as you can away from Bonfe.

Susan G Fqm

| map-marker Bloomington, Minnesota

Terrible experience.

BEWARE of Bonfe. We asked them to do one thing. Put water into a boiler system and bleed the radiator. The gas company already told us what we needed after their service. Bonfe came and tried to push thousands of dollars of products and services. We said no, just do what the gas company described. He did the work in less than 15 minutes and charged $600.00. What a racket ! Never again!
Loss:
Pros:
  • Are pro con men
Cons:
  • Predatory business practices state needs to investigate

Preferred solution: Price reduction

User's recommendation: Avoid Bonfe like the plague.

Francine L Rdn
map-marker Eden Prairie, Minnesota

Terrible service; repairman caused MORE damage, ridiculous prices

Had a leaking water heater and old water softener ... Bonfe came, confirmed the leak, and offered to replace both on the spot for $7K. When I told them it was too expensive, the service man said he wanted to "run a test." When he abruptly left (after I said I would not pay their fee), the hot water heater started spurting water all over - flooding my lower level. I called Bonfe asking for help and they told me to "get another person to bid on the project." No help. MAJOR RIPOFF

User's recommendation: Don't do business with them. RIPOFF

Ann G Qwg

| map-marker Minneapolis, Minnesota

Poor service and price gouging

Ive used Bonfe for decades. They have gone downhill.

Waited most of the day for my furnace tune up. They never showed and never called. I called them. They told me they had a furnace out emergency so they canceled me and she didnt know why they never called me.

I understand bumping me for an emergency. I dont understand not calling and making someone wait all day for someone who is never going to come. I asked to talk to a manager. Was told he wasnt available.

I asked to have him call me. She said okay but itll probably be a few days. He never called. Surprise surprise!

Then, when they did come out 2 weeks later, my water heater was leaking so was told I needed a new one. Was given a quote of $5200 and that was after my $950 discount for being a peace of mind member! . I almost choked!

I said I needed to do some price checking. Checked with 3 other places. All were $2800-****.

Now I question the other things I have bought from them! Im done with them.

Cons:
  • Pricing and sales pressure
  • Charge 2-3 times what other charge
  • No one showing up

Preferred solution: Apology

User's recommendation: Find a reputable company, stay away from these guys!

map-marker Minneapolis, Minnesota

Very expensive. Poor customer service. Take advantage of the elderly and women.

Charged me $400.00 to install a light that cost 59.00 at Menards. Took them less that 15 minutes. I am an older single woman. I felt I was taken advantage of.
map-marker Minneapolis, Minnesota

AC Repair

RIPOFF..!! Dispatch said they dont charge more on Saturdays but I was charged over $700.00 for a simple repair that took 30 minutes..!!!

User's recommendation: Stay away

Ruth B Vsg

| map-marker Eden Prairie, Minnesota

Might be charged for unnecessary work.

Unnecessary charges. Bonfe came to do a seasonal system check on furnace, water heater and air conditioner. I was told the water heater was leaking gas and that the air conditioner was in need of Freon all for a grand total of $764. CenterPoint Energy came out to check and was told there was no gas leak in the water heater and the air conditioner was not in need of Freon. CenterPoint did a system check on the air conditioner for $75. $$75
Pros:
  • Friendly guys that came to do checkup
  • Fast response
  • Prompt

User's recommendation: Just be careful of extra charges, Bonfe seems to want to add unexpected charges.

Warren B Zrd

| map-marker South Saint Paul, Minnesota

Had some work done...buyer’s remorse.

BUYER BEWARE. DONT LET THEM IN YOUR HOUSE.

I recently called Bonfe to replace an old, leaky water heater.

They wouldnt give me a quote over the phone and told me they had to come out to assess the problem.

It did need replacement and I was given a price which seemed high, but at the time I somehow convinced myself that maybejust maybe it was a bit high but okay. The model number of the heater itself was not on the estimate, and once the work was done, I researched the model number of the heater. I realized I paid nearly 3500 to have a 1000 (max...probably closer to 700.00) water heater installed.

When I asked them for an itemized receipt of equipment and services rendered, they would not give it to me...and to add insult to injury, they told me that I approved the cost. Yeah.

I am not stupid. I approved it, but now I want to have my mind put at ease that I didnt get severely screwed.

The fact they wont reveal a rundown of the costs makes me feel like I did get taken for a ride. I am frankly embarrassed to tell this story.

Avoid these people at all costs.

Loss:
Pros:
  • Fast response
  • Work was completed
Cons:
  • Bullshit excuses when asking for billing information
  • Charge 2-3 times what other charge
  • Pricing and sales pressure

User's recommendation: Once you invite a vampire into your house, you have only yourself to blame.

Guest

This is what they Do...

Guest

Had them replace a failed gas valve on an 10 year old furness. Had to order part, part arrived 5 days later with copy of billing to Bonfe inside.

The part cost Bonfe $314.85 (average retail) and they charged me over $800.00.

Back was against the wall, needed heat going into autumn weather, paid the $1800.00+ price but learned an expensive lesson. I am sooo done with these people.

Janessa Ixj

Ya had the same Water heater problem, and they cannot produce a legit bill since they overcharge you for everything, and They refuse to give a bill itemized.

View more comments (2)
Nathan S Drb
map-marker South Saint Paul, Minnesota

All mistakes and apologies

Caution advised!!! Read this whole review of interested in what you might get yourself into.

I have never written an online review before, but felt the need to warn others of this company. A job with them started with a corroded bathtub drain causing backup into the tub. After the problem was identified, the tub drain was replaced. As per the technicians, several other connections to a bathroom sink were not up to code. After extensive and expensive replacement of all these components (thousands of dollars)----I was told a St. Paul city inspection was NOT needed. Red flags already raised??

During this job, *** was punched into a bedroom closet wall. Immediately after the job, a sewer gas smell emanated from the closet, and the toilet made a gurgling sound when flushed. Turns out a vent connection was all of a sudden loose (likely accidentally caused during repairs). The rest of the closet wall had to be removed and thousands more spent on replacing old venting. Again---I was told a city inspection was not needed. I had to spend $1500 to repair the wall.

I had to take it upon myself to call the city. An inspection was ABSOLUTEY necessary. Turns out---Bonfe NEVER EVEN FILED a permit TWICE for these two separate jobs. They were double fined by the city, but can you imagine the problems this could have caused during a future sale of the house? How many other people have not had a proper permit filed or inspection performed?

All I got was runaround from this company. They stated their permit coordinator was too busy. Her only job.messed up twice. It isnt like St. Paul is a smaller municipality infrequently dealt with. Several technicians told me no inspection was necessary. So either they truly did not know (even a dumb homeowner like me knows better), are too lazy to care, or are completely negligent.

They did not place nail guards over exposed vent pipes. Again, I had to coordinate them placing these----and they tried to charge me a $89 service fee!! No way that was happening. How does a dumb homeowner know these were code and several certified plumbing technicians didnt???

They damaged the bathroom ceiling and tile accidently cutting into it from above. NO offer to reduce job cost or repairing this damage was made. Stuff happens---I get that----but at least make an offer to discount what it will cost me to repair.

When getting the runaround, I asked several times to speak with the owner and was denied. I was told he does not speak to customers. Thats how a small local business runs? This isnt a Fortune 500 company..

They charge SIGNIFICANTLY more than competitors. I was thinking this came with better workmanship and treatment of customers. All I got was apologies. I am a super reasonable and patient person, but even I could not believe how everything went down. None of this is embellished or exaggerated, just documented as it occurred. So------again-----caution advised.

User's recommendation: save your money and look elsewhere

Fabio D

| map-marker Minneapolis, Minnesota

Service check up

I had it scheduled for a service check up for(11/10/20) a month ago. I stayed home waiting for them to come, and they never showed up. I called the customer service, and they say they had canceled due to emergency. But they never call me to let me know. Now I have to wait another month before they can come out. The thing is that I'm enrolled in a monthly plan, so they are getting their money no matter what. I understand an emergency happened but if they can not come one day then please come the next day don't me the customer wait another month. I also have a newborn baby at home, we want to make sure everything is running good.

Preferred solution: Getting the service as soon as possible, already lost a day of work waiting for the service

Gary M Iyp

Verified Reviewer

Don't waste your time. They will try and rip you off.

Bonfe - Don't waste your time. They will try and rip you off.
Bonfe - Don't waste your time. They will try and rip you off. - Image 2

The motor on the draft inducer seized. I diagnosed it and told them the part that I needed in the hope they would be able to bring one when they came out.

I was already feeling sceptical when they told me that they don't provide an hourly rate, they only quote by the job.

When they did come out they confirmed what I thought and presented us an estimate as shown below.

They wanted $1,922 to replace the motor which just on the face of it was ridiculous.

Ultimately the replacement motor cost $154 and was replaced in a little over an hour. That would make the Bonfe hourly rate around $1,750. Clearly an attempt to gouge a homeowner in a tough spot (no heat) which means I cannot trust anything that they told me.

Also, when they removed the thermocouple to "inspect" the heat exchanger they damaged the fibreglass gasket and left it in two pieces on the bottom of the furnace. Part of its function is to prevent furnace gasses such as CO from escaping so it's omission is unsafe.

Needless to say, Bonfe is now the last people we would call when we do eventually replace our furnace.

Also note that after diagnosing the failed motor he proceeded to remove the thermocouple and "inspect" the heat exchanger using a cheap endoscope, even though that was nothing to do with the problem.

He pointed out a "crack" which did not look like a crack to me, just a piece of rust along a welded seam. I was a little sceptical but after I saw the estimate I knew with 100% certainty that they were trying to rip me off, so anything he said was now fatally tainted.

I bought an additional CO monitor that has a readout vs an alarm but I believe his diagnosis was part of a scare tactic. We will get a second opinion from a reputable source just to be safe.

Attempted price gouging

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution

map-marker South Saint Paul, Minnesota

No show.

They were supposed to do an air conditioner tuneup sometime after 12 noon. They would not make an appointment. We stayed home all day and waited. Got a phone call from them. The phone only range twice.they left a message for me to call back as they had a tech available. Now it is 5:15 p.m. I called back immediately. Only got a recording.hung up and checked reviews. I was surprised at what was said about them by other customers. Thank you to all who opened my eyes to this company. They will get no jobs at this home. By the way, no one bothered to call me back.

Preferred solution: Don`t bother

User's recommendation: Check the reviews make your own judgement

Richard J Gbn

| map-marker South Saint Paul, Minnesota

I will not recommend Bonfe nor will I ever call them again.

I had a relatively easy repair to be made to a toilet but was under pressure to get it done. The price was at least double what would have been fair.
Loss:
Cons:
  • Charge 2-3 times what other charge
Pricing issue

Preferred solution: Price reduction

Mary S Ugm

They are not 24 hour

I called and they couldn't help me tonight. Not worth the ads I see.
Cons:
  • Not worth their ads
Not as described/ advertised

Preferred solution: complain on line

Ed F Ekm

Overpriced, unnecessary recommendation

Follow up on maintenance service- 0 Appt. delayed Recommended work that wasn’t necessary. Pricing was extremely high. Broke damper for whole house humidifier. Even absurdly expensive to cancel annual service. Never again.
Loss:
Cons:
  • Pricing and sales pressure
Reason of review:
Overpriced, unnecessary recommendations, broken damper

Preferred solution: Cancel annual service contract

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content
  • PissedConsumer is on the Inc. 5000 list

For more information read Blog article